All is Well



I watched a 20/20 segment recently about a neuroscientist named Dr. Eben Alexander who wrote a book called "Proof of Heaven" after his near death experience. While in a seven day coma, resulting from a rare form of meningitis, a woman with golden hair, a large beautiful smile and crystal blue eyes guided him into this space where he felt peace and a complete understanding of what was happening, he knew he was in heaven. He did the best he could to describe the beauty and the richness of the colors below as he soared above lush trees, vibrant flowers and thousands of butterflies that painted the grounds below. After what seemed like such a short time, the angelic guide let him know without spoken words, "all is well, but you will be going back." Dr. Alexander goes on to explain that before this he had always been skeptical about heaven, but he knew scientifically the encounter couldn't have been his brain responding to his illness, because the portion of his brain where this activity takes place was completely inactive. The scientist now believes.

Once he woke from his coma, he immediately began writing down his experiences and drawing a picture of the beautiful face that gave him so much comfort and complete love. He wanted to document everything before his story was tainted by external influences. Once he started digging more into his story, he was led to the story of a biological aunt that he never knew, and who had died around the age of 36 many years before. She had been known for her love of people and service to women in crisis. He was given a picture of this family member and he recognized her immediately as the beautiful woman from his experience. The portrait was the exact replica.

While I was listening to Dr. Alexander tearfully recount this beautiful time in heaven with such tenderness, I saw as much of an authentic moment that could possibly translate through a television interview and it made me wonder, who was Nathans guide? I enjoyed the sweetness of this thought as I started to list out in my mind the loved ones I knew who had gone before him. Was it his dad's mom, Granny, who had died months before he was born? She was so kind and loved by so many, she would be perfect! Was it Grandma Rene? Did this sweet soul meet him with her cane pole and his favorite peanut butter cake? He would have loved that! Or was it Grandpa GW or Grandpa JC? I don't know today, but one day I will.

What was reality for Dr.Alexander  was that our souls live on forever. This life is not the end and we will recognize our loved ones, even ones we never met. I believe that there will be no more tears or pain and that it will be the most joyful moment to see the face of God from what I read in the Bible, but it is comforting to hear it confirmed who through someone who believes so deeply that they did experience life beyond this one. It is the complete and unconditional love that keeps on going.

This may or may not be true, but for today, I choose to dream about and believe in the peaceful encounter this man experienced was the same for my son. I find comfort and some understanding for something that is so far beyond my human comprehension. I can't imagine what that must feel like, but Nathan knows. And I pray that he is my guide when that day comes and that he will be the one to lead me into the fullest love and beautiful landscape as he tells me with unspoken words, "all is well." Until then, I will continue to love as much as I know how in this life, because that's what it's really all about.

Comments

  1. Nathan knows how much you love him now & forever Nikki. He wants you to be happy and to rejoice in knowing you will see him again as you enter eternal life. He will be your greeter with open arms and answers for all your questions. Your willingness to "love" in this life will bring joy to you and to all of us especially me as your mother to see you smile again and truly know that "all is well" as we give everything to God!

    I love you so very, very much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts