Soldier of God

http://bible.us/111/EPH6.13.NIV Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Bible.com/app

Nathan had journaled for several months last summer. It was such a gift to be able to peer into such an intimate conversation about his faith and life. It was also a precious time because he was living with Jerry and I and working with me at KSBJ. I loved having him there for so many reasons.

In this journal Nathan had sketched a tattoo design he was thinking about with the title "Soldier of God" and referenced the scripture of "putting on the armor of God." He was so passionate about his search for the right thing. The right emotion. How to be the right guy.

A few days after Nate passed, my best friend bought me a beautiful cross as a gift. Little did she know that the image of the tattoo in his journal mirrored the gift she had given me. It was so comforting to have that connection.  But God wasnt done comforting me there. To make this even more special I asked a friend from work to make an art piece out of the cross and incorporate the tattoo design and scripture.  Having seen her previous art, I was expectantly thrilled at the result. But what pierces my soul with joy about this piece is that some of the wood used to make this beautiful art came from the fence at her grandfathers house; the house where he took his own life 10 years before. I had no idea we shared a common story. What a gift her family has given to mine!! God has such a divine way of connecting just the right dots...for such a time as this. Im honored, humbled and in awe of how He loves us. Both images are shared in this post.

What I know about my son is that he had a passion for Christ and he sought to be a Soldier for God. What better legacy could a mother ask for. This story makes me proud.

Comments

Popular Posts